Healthy holiday eating habits recommended by registered dietitians

We love the holiday dedicated to eating food that is Thanksgiving, but between that and all the festive gatherings and platters of cookies during the holiday season, it’s easy to go off the rails of your healthy eating plan. Of course, you don’t want to deprive yourself of the tasty treats entirely, but you also don’t want to overindulge and feel guilty either. So how can you enjoy all the deliciousness of the holidays and still feel your best?

These are the healthy holiday eating habits recommended by registered dietitians:

  • Focus on the positive - Steer clear of negative self-talk about avoiding certain foods and think about what you can add to your eating plan, instead of what you need to take away.
  • Live by the 80/20 rule - Everyone deserves to splurge on their favorite holiday eats, the key is not to let splurging become your new way of life. And that’s where the 80/20 rule comes in. It’s all about balance and the goal is to fill up on nutrient-rich food 80% of the time, then the other 20%, you can indulge in the comfort foods and treats you only get once a year.
  • Don’t go hungry - Before you head off to a holiday party or event, have a nutritious snack so you’re not ravenous when you arrive. Some nuts and fruit, a bowl of vegetable soup, or hummus and veggies won’t fill you up too much, but just enough so you’re not eating everything in sight.
  • Add fiber and protein - It can be as simple as a handful of pistachios or some whole wheat crackers and cheese, and snacks like those that are high in fiber and protein will keep you feeling satisfied for longer.
  • Choose your treats in advance - With so many tempting treats around, it’s easy to overindulge, but you don’t want to ban them altogether either. One way to find the sweet spot is by deciding ahead of time which of your favorite foods and drinks you want to enjoy and where to draw the line.
  • Stay hydrated - Sipping on water during the day helps keep you hydrated and healthy and it can help you make good decisions for what to put on your plate. It’s easy to confuse thirst with hunger and when that happens, you may reach for an extra serving of stuffing or pie, when what you really need is more water.

Source: Eat This, Not That

Photo: Getty Images

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content