While the coronavirus has put a damper on summer travel, that doesn’t mean folks plan to sit at home all summer. In fact, the AAA reports that there are still plenty of people who plan to take a trip in the coming months.
According to the report:
- Americans will take about 700 million trips this summer.
- That’s a 15% decrease as compared to last year’s travel between July through September.
- Were it not for the coronavirus, AAA would project about 857 million trips around this time.
- Not surprising, most people will be taking their trips by car.
- In fact, cars are the favored type of travel for 97% of people.
- That translates to about 683 million car trips this summer.
- It’s predicted that car trips will only see a 3% decrease from last year.
- Air travel though will see a decrease in about 74%, with rai, cruse ship and bus travel down 86%
- So, where is everyone traveling? Well, according to AAA’s TripTik destination search, the top summer travel spots include:
- Denver, CO
- Las Vegas, NV
- Los Angeles, CA
- Seattle, WA
- Phoenix, AZ
- Portland, OR
- Myrtle Beach, SC
- Orlando, FL
- San Diego, CA
- Nashville, TN
- ONE MORE THING!Despite people taking more road trips this summer, AAA and INRIX report that some big cities are likely to see less traffic than they would during normal summer months. In fact, cities like Boston, New York, Chicago and Los Angeles are on their list of cities were folks aren’t likely to run into “normal” traffic congestion while traveling.