When we’re clothes shopping, a lot of factors go into deciding if we should buy an item or pass, like how good it looks on you, what it goes with in your existing wardrobe, and how often you’ll be able to wear it. But one thing we rarely consider is how much it costs per wear.
Say you buy a dress for a wedding and spend $100 on it and only wear the dress twice, that means it costs $50 per use. But there are some things we wear so much, they get cheaper because of all the use we get out of them. And now My Voucher Codes did the math for us to find out what the cheapest items in our wardrobes are, based on how often we wear them.
They asked 2,586 people about their shopping habits and how much they wear certain clothing and they found that we tend to spend more on stuff we wear less and don’t splurgee on clothes we wear a lot. Here’s what they found the cost per wear is on some of our trusty wardrobe pieces.
- Dresses - We spend an average of $54 and only wear them about three times, so the cost per wear is around $18.
- Pants - We tend to spend about $51 on a pair and wear them an average of 19 times, so the cost is just $2.68 every time we wear them.
- Shoes - At an average price of $37 a pair, after wearing them an average of 35 times, the cost per wear is only $1.07.
- Pajamas - Spending $19 on a pair and wearing them an average of 40 times makes the cost per wear just 47-cents.
- Jeans - The average price we pay for denim is $37, but we wear our jeans all the time, so with an average 298 wears, the price drops down to 12-cents per wear. And that makes jeans the cheapest thing in our wardrobe.
- Source: Cosmopolitan