At some point, most couples feel like their relationship has become boring and they want to bring the spark back. It’s totally normal to have ups and downs in a long-term romance, but when you feel yours needs a kick start, try these to rev things up again.
- Touch each other more - If you’re barely looking at each other when you get home at the end of the day, try making a point to hug each other more often. Research shows oxytocin, the feel-good hormone, is released through touching and it makes you feel closer and more bonded with your partner.
- Put tech bans in place - Set aside some time to put all electronic devices in another room so you can talk with your partner and both of you can fully focus on what the other is saying without being tempted to scroll through your phone.
- Take up a new activity - Find something new you can try together, like a cooking class, a bowling team, or yoga for couples, to shake things up and have fun.
- Get frisky - When life is hectic and you’ve got a million things on your mind and your to-do list, it can be tough to get in the mood. But if you spend the day sending your sweetie flirty or dirty texts and letting them know what’s on your mind, you’ll both be more ready for sexy time.
- Head down memory lane - Go on a date that includes highlights of what made your relationship what it is today. Eat where you dined on your first date, or take a stroll in a park where you first said “I love you,” or revisit the spot where he proposed. All that nostalgia can help you remember falling in love and why your partner is the one for you.
- Ask and ask again - Be direct and ask your S.O. what you can do to be a better partner to them. Try not to be defensive and think of what they say as solutions, not criticism.
- Make your relationship a priority - You really only get out what you put into your relationship, so make the time and do what it takes to make yours flourish over time. Your partner is your future and all your efforts will pay off in the long run.