BuzzFeed has put together a list of iconic roles in Disney films that were almost played by different actors. Here are 10 that may surprise you (check out the full list at the link):
- Ryan Gosling turned down the role of The Beast in The Beauty and the Beastlive-action remake in order to star in La La Land—and, believe it or not, Emma Watson turned down La La Land for Beauty and the Beast.
- Amy Poehler was considered for the role of Rapunzel in Tangled before Mandy Moore was cast.
- Pirates of the Caribbean screenwriter Stuart Beattie originally wrote Jack Sparrow with Hugh Jackman in mind for the role.
- Originally, the creators of The Princess and the Frog wanted Tiana to be voiced by Beyoncé. Tyra Banks, Alicia Keys, and Jennifer Hudson also auditioned for the role before it eventually went to Anika Noni Rose.
- Billy Crystal turned down the role of Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. He has since called it "the only regret I have in the business."
- Reese Witherspoon was originally supposed to voice Merida in Brave.
- Ewan McGregor was originally considered for the role of Will Turner in Pirates of the Caribbean before Orlando Bloom was cast.
- Bill Murray was originally up for the role of Sulley in Monsters, Inc. before John Goodman was cast.
- Jim Carrey auditioned for the role of Prince Eric in The Little Mermaid—this was before he went on to star in In Living Color.
- Emma Watson turned down the role of Cinderella in the 2015 live-action remake.
Disney Characters That Were Almost Played By Different Actors