Face masks are one of the most important things people should be wearing to protect themselves from COVID-19, but it seems a lot of people are making some big face mask mistakes, which could make them less affective.
A recent study revealed all the mistakes folks are making, so if you want to make sure you’re protected listen up.
- You aren’t washing your hands before and after you take off your mask– To be safe from transmitting the virus you should wash your hands for 20-30 seconds before and after wearing your mask.
- You aren’t cleaning your face after wearing a mask– 31.9% of people have done this, and this could be the reason folks are suffering from mask acne.
- You’re sharing a mask with others– 25% of people admit to sharing masks without washing them. That’s totally unhygienic.
- You’re reusing disposable masks– 44% of people admit to reusing disposable masks multiple times, but they are designed for short-term use only.
- You’re washing your disposable mask– they are disposable for a reason. Trying to wash them defeats the purpose of wearing a mask.
- You aren’t washing your reusable mask for days or even weeks– the CDC recommends washing reusable masks after every use.
- You aren’t covering your nose and mouth with your mask– This completely negates the benefits of wearing a mask.
- You aren’t storing your mask correctly– they need to be stored in a safe place away from other people, with the CDC suggesting putting them in a dry, breathable bag. Also store dirty masks in a plastic bag until they are ready to be cleaned.
Source: Huffington Post
Photo: Getty Images