Have a closet - or chair in the corner of your bedroom - full of clothes, but still feel like you have nothing to wear? That’s because it’s probably full of things that don’t work for you anymore. But wouldn’t it be great to be able to pull outfits together from a smaller collection of clothing? That’s where a capsule wardrobe comes in. It’s created by editing down what you have to your favorite clothes and remixing them.
Having a capsule wardrobe doesn’t mean you can’t ever buy anything new, a trendy piece or two can be a cute addition to the basic building blocks of your closet. But what should your capsule wardrobe include? Fashion writer Tamara Davis says she’s seen trends come and go for years and these are the eight pieces she recommends because they never, ever go out of style.
- A white T-shirt - Get a good quality one in cotton or a linen-blend for the best in this basic.
- A blazer - You can’t go wrong with a classic, black, slightly oversized cut, but blazers come in pretty much every shade and silhouette imaginable, so take your pick.
- That dress you love - You know, the one that makes you feel chic and comfortable the minute you throw it on.
- White sneakers - A classic white canvas or leather sneaker is a staple and looks as cute with jeans as a dress.
- A dressy-enough sweater - The one you wear on repeat every winter is your favorite for a reason. It goes with a skirt or pants and as long as it’s made well, it should last for years.
- Sandals that do double duty - A simple and stylish flat leather sandal will be in year after year and will go with both dresses and casual outfits. Invest in a good pair and you won’t regret it.
- A midi skirt - This piece pairs perfectly with your sandals and tee, but you can also dress it up, too.
- “THE” jeans - We’re talking about the pair that go with everything and you wear them so much, you miss them on laundry day. It doesn’t matter if they’re high-waisted and skinny or flared, the cut and price aren’t as important as how you feel in them. If your jeans don’t make you feel great, find another pair.
Photo: Getty Images