The mystery was finally solved last night on the season finale of Fox’s hit celebrity competition show, “The Masked Singer.” No longer did the audience and panel of all-star judges –Robin Thicke, Jenny McCarthy, Ken Jeong, Nicole Scherzinger and guest judge Kenan Thompson– have to guess the true identities of the celebs in disguise… they were finally revealed!
The show started by following each of the finalists’ journeys to the final episode, and recapping the judges guesses as to who they are. We got to see a group performance, as well as individual performances from the remaining three stars – Bee, Peacock and Monster – before the final unmasking… and some of the judges, along with much of the Twitterverse, were right on the money about who’s behind the masks!Here’s what happened:
- The Peacock sang first, getting everyone on their feet with “Shake A Tail Feather” by Ray Charles & The Blues. The judges were stumped for new guesses, but stuck with the previous hints that he could be Donny Osmond or“Weird” Al Yankovic. During the recap, we got to hear the rest of the guesses that have been made, too: Criss Angel, David Copperfield, Wayne Brady, Sean Cassidy, Neil Patrick Harris,and Tom Jones.Clue Review:Male, good performer, has performed in Vegas, started at a young age, close with Michael Jackson, fear of heights, his face is tattooed on someone else’s body, knows Nicole Scherzinger, has dedicated his life to show business, inspired by Robin’s hit “Blurred Lines."
- The Bee was up next, showing off her amazing voice with a moving rendition of “I Can’t Make You Love Me” by Bonnie Raitt. Kenan got right to the point, calling the performance, “Un-Bee-Gladys-Knight-able.” But Ken was still convinced she’s Anita Baker.To recap, other guesses over the episodes included Dionne Warwick, Patti Labelle, Tina Turner and Chaka Khan.Clue Review:Female, great voice, got her start in the 1950's, was inspired by her mom to start a group, relation to peaches and baking, may have been involved in a legal battle at some point, friends with Aretha Franklin.
- Finally, The Monster hit the stage, delivering a throwback performance of “This Is How We Do It” by Montell Jordan.Nicole and Robin both agreed that he could be Jamie Foxx because of his pipes, and Kenan threw in Tyrese Gibson. Previous guesses included Gucci Mane, Nelly, Cee Lo Green, P Diddy, Lil Jon and Calvin Harris.Clue Review:Male, has had dark times, vilified for “sounding like a ringtone,” strong voice but not known as a singer “to everyone,” connection to a headset.
In the end, the Bee ended up in third place, so she was unmasked first. Kenan was right on the money, because the Bee was revealed to be…Miss Gladys! Next up was the Peacock, and the judges were pleased to see they were right that he is… Donny Osmond!
That meant that the Monster was crowned the “Masked Singer.” Host Nick Cannon said he knew who it was even before the unmasking - and the judges made him write it down on a piece of paper. Good thing - they were all wrong and he was right. The Monster was revealed to be…T-Pain! In the after? T-Pain couldn't have been more grateful. “It feels so good to be able to do what I love and do it freely,” he offered. “I have always wanted to perform without the fear of being judged.”He sure DID!
- Look forward to season two of the show on FOX!
- Meanwhile...Here’s a rundown of all the stars that got unmasked this season(in order of elimination):
- Antonio Brown(Hippo)
- Tommy Chong(Pineapple)
- Terry Bradshaw(Deer)
- Margaret Cho(Poodle)
- Tori Spelling(Unicorn)
- Ricki Lake(Raven)
- La Toya Jackson(Alien)
- Joey Fatone(Rabbit) and Rumer Willis(Lion) >>double elimination<<
- Gladys Knight(Bee)
- Donny Osmond(Peacock)