The biatholon is the only winter Olympic event the US has not medaled in
- The biathlon is a winter sport that combines cross-country skiing and rifle shooting.
10,004 people were paid to watch the Olympics in 1924
- It was the first Winter Olympics, so people in France were paid to watch it to ensure it would be a success
Two separate US men’s hockey teams arrived at the 1948 Olympics
- Two separate hockey teams (backed by rival hockey associations) arrived at the 1948 St. Moritz Winter Games, each claiming to be the rightful participant on America's behalf.
The PyeongChang Winter Olympics cost $10 billion and is still not the most expensive Winter Olympics
- The 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi cost $50 billion
The youngest competitor in Winter Olympics history was 11 years old
- Representing Great Britain, figure skater Cecilia Colledge was only 11 years old when she competed in the 1932 Winter Olympics.
The oldest competitor in Winter Olympics history was 58 years old
- Representing Sweden, curler Carl August Kronlund (left) was 58 years old when he competed in the first ever Winter Olympics in 1924.
Only 36 countries (out of 195 countries in the world) have won a gold medal at the Winter Olympics
- Only 44 countries have ever won a medal of any type in the Winter Olympics
And the Olympic Village has provided athletes with condoms since the 1988 Games
- At the 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics, 110,000 condoms will be handed out to 2,925 athletes. That's about 37 per athlete.
Content Goes Here