It’s finally October, which means the colder months are coming and we’ll be spending more time inside. And before that happens, there are a few things we should do to get our homes ready. Here are some tips to make your space the place you want to be at the end of a long day.
- Cut the lawn - Mow the grass one last time to keep it looking good in the autumn months.
- Clean the oven - We hate doing it, but it’s a chore that has to be done, so go ahead and give the oven a good cleaning before all that holiday cooking next month.
- Deep clean the house - We’re talking scrubbing the baseboards, clearing the cobwebs in the corners, cleaning out the pantry and everything that’ll get your house gleaming before winter.
- Clean the fireplace - Before you start using it, remove all the loose ashes and dust, then use a wire brush to clean the soot from the brick, and use baking soda and water on a sponge to get the rest of the dust and soot off.
- Declutter - As the seasons change, it’s a good time to go through your closet to find things you don’t wear and can donate to charity.
- Set the mood with candles - Find your favorite fall scents, from pumpkin spice to apple cinnamon, and make your place cozy with some seasonal aromas.
- A fresh coat of paint - We spend a lot more time inside when the weather gets cold, so this is a great time to spruce things up with some paint so you can enjoy pretty walls this winter.
- Find something to watch - You know you’ll be spending more time snuggling up on your sofa on upcoming chilly nights, so find your new binge-worthy show and start watching.