There are a handful of things everybody packs for a big trip that they don’t really need to. According to The New York Times, here are five of those items:
- A voltage converter. The power adapter that comes with nearly every electronic product likely already converts all incoming voltage into what it needs.
- Hair dryers and most bathroom items. Pretty much every hotel, hostel--and most Airbnbs--are going to have a hair dryer available for you. The same is true for things like shampoo and soap.
- A fist full of dollars. A.T.M.s are everywhere and are usually cheaper compared to those in the United States. Ideally, you should bring a card that doesn’t charge foreign transaction fees.
- Most of the clothes you’re bringing. Fact: you don’t need a different outfit for every day of your trip.
- Anything you “might” use. Rain gear is fine; two umbrellas in case you lose the first one is excessive.